Updated: Mar 26
Vegan Watermelon Cookies
These Cookies are easy to make and great fun for the Kids. They have super simple ingredients and a fantastic cheap and easy egg substitute you can easily prepare yourself.
Ingredients:(makes about 20 cookies)
280g Plain Flour
140g soft vegan Margarine
120g icing sugar
1 egg substitute (see next post)
Vanilla Essence (optional)
Pinch of Salt
Cocoa Powder (or brown food coloring)
1. Measure and mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the Vanilla (optional) and the soft margarine.
2. Prepare the egg substitute, check our next post for a magical egg substitute with super simple ingredients!
3. Add the egg substitute and keep on kneading the dough until it is smooth but firm. Add a bit flour if it is too soft.
4. Shape the dough into a ball, now cut it in half and one of the two halves in two quarters. Cut a small wedge off the remaining half...
5. Now color the bigger piece with red food coloring...one of the quarters with green food coloring and the small wedge in brown (with cocoa powder or brown food coloring). We use the vegan food coloring from wilton, but you could use natural food dye, beet root color and spirulina for example.🙂
6. Shape the red dough into a long roll, then using cling film or baking paper roll out the plain uncolored dough and cover the red dough roll with it.
7. Now roll out the green dough again on cling film or baking paper and cover the dough roll one last time. Make sure it keeps its round shape.
8. Place in the fridge for about 1hour. That helps you too cut it neatly. If you are impatient like me just leave it 15 minutes but be careful when cutting.
9. Take it out of the fridge, using a sharp knife, cut off finger thick pieces of the dough. Cut those in half and place them on a covered baking tray.
10. Switch on your oven on 160•Celsius.
11. Flatten them by hand directly on the tray and add little pieces of the brown dough, making it look like the watermelon seeds.
12. Now they are ready to go in the oven! 10minutes should be enough, check after 8minutes and then every 2 minutes as you dont want them to get brown. Every oven is a bit different.
13. Take them out of the oven, they might still feel a bit soft but that gives them a great “melt in your mouth feel” later. Let them cool...
14. Enjoy when cold❤️ Team Seaside Kitchen & Cake Parlour