A vegan shortbread recipe that works fantastic for cookies but also as a shortcrust/ cake base for tartes and cheezecakes.
Ingredients: (makes about 20 Cookies or a base for a 9" round baking tin)
280g Plain Flour
140g soft vegan Margarine
120g icing sugar
1 egg substitute (recipe:https://www.seasidecakeparlour.co.uk/post/vegan-egg-replacer)
Vanilla Essence (optional)
Pinch of Salt
1. Measure and mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the Vanilla (optional) and the soft margarine.
2. Prepare the egg substitute, check our blog (https://www.seasidecakeparlour.co.uk/post/vegan-egg-replacer) for a magical egg substitute with super simple ingredients!
3. Add the egg substitute and keep on kneading the dough until it is smooth but firm. Add a bit of flour if it is too soft.
4. Shape the dough into a ball, cover with cling film and leave it in the fridge for 20-30 mins.
5. Take it out of the fridge and roll out the dough. You can use it as a shortcrust base for a tarte ( tarte au citron, chocolate tarte, cheezecake…) or for cookies, using cookie cutters.
6. Switch on your oven on 160•Celsius. If you are using it as a cake base bake it "blind" first, covered with a baking parchment and baking beans, before you add any filling.
7. Baking time for Cookies is 10 min, check after 8 min, keeping in mind every oven is a bit different. Baking time as a shortcrust base is 15min.