Its the Easter weekend and we are in lock down. By now it feels the whole country is into baking and cooking and flour or yeast is not always on the shelves. So here is a flourless recipe: an easy white chocolate mousse with an easter inspired topping - no baking involved. Of course you could swap the topping for a fruit coulis, any fresh fruit, caramel sauce or bananas and chocolate sauce. Yum!
The base is the vegan whipping cream that is new on the market in the UK. There is a double cream made by Emla and a new one made by Flora. Dont try it with single cream, it wont work. If you are in Germany or Austria use Soyatoo or Schlagfix. See a recipe for an alternative coconut "whipping cream" at the bottom.
Ingredients: (6 portions)
- 500ml vegan double cream
- 80g vegan white chocolate
- 100g caster sugar
- vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 small orange
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of cardamom
- 2 TBSP margarine
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- Doisy & Dams vegan chocolate coated "Eggs" (optional)
1. Melt the white chocolate. This time I used the vegan white choc buttons from "Vantastic Foods" but I do like the vegan white chocolate you can get at tescos too, bar or buttons. I use the "au bain-marie method", so over a "water bath". I never use a microwave, I dont own one and its risky as you might burn the chcocolate.
2. Whip the vegan double cream: Add the sugar and vanilla and start whipping with your handmixer until stiff.
3.Pour the white chocolate over your whipping cream and mix it using your hand mixer. Continue mixing it until its light and fluffy then fill it into a piping bag.
4. Slice the carrot thinly into fine strips using a peeler.
5. Cut the half of the small orange into fine pieces.
6. Melt the margarine in a pot, then add the carrot strips and the orange bits. Add now the cinnamon, cardamom and sugar and let the sugar caramelize. Spoon it out of the pot onto some baking parchment, otherwise it will stick to your pot. You can clean your pot using hot water.
7. Pipe your mousse into nice jars, decorate it with the carrot-orange topping and add some vegan chocolate coated eggs.
8. Chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours and enjoy!
What if you dont have vegan whipping cream? Not every supermarket has vegan whipping cream in stock (Asda does) and you dont want to order online. A good alternative is coconut milk. Use the coconutmilk that comes in cans, the full fat version, but only when chilled. Open the chilled can carefully and spoon out the thick coconut cream (thats what you need), get rid of the "water". Whipp this coconut cream with icing sugar (instead of caster sugar as above) and add the molten chocolate. Voila :-).